Search This Blog

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Pauper Prince

The False Prince
By Jennifer A. Nielsen

Sage lives in an orphanage. He steals so he can eat. Around him, the kingdom begins moving toward war, though he doesn't know it yet. One day, a nobleman named Connor, takes him away from the orphanage along with three other boys. Connor's plan for them is as treasonous as it it is insane and Sage can't figure out if he's on board or not.

Now this was a fun find. I saw someone reading one of the sequels and I asked to see the book, as I turned to read the insert she grabbed it from me immediately and said, "No spoilers!". Thank goodness she saved me from that because I would have been spoiled for the fun turns this book takes.

In terms of the title, (and my own post title), I fully expected this to be a retelling of "The Prince and the Pauper". Delightfully surprised that it is not and is instead a fresh fantasy story.

Characterwise, I enjoyed each of the people we encounter. At first, I was thrown off by the very rare first person point of view. Normally fantasy is told in third. No matter, 30 pages in I was into the story. I liked Sage. He rebels just enough and we have his internal reasoning so it doesn't come from out of nowhere.

Worldwise, the kingdom is lacking. To be fair, it's a short book, meant for a younger audience, and they spend most of their time at Mr. Nobleman-Connor's digs. We aren't given much of the world. But it was enjoyable all the same.

I think I'd like to continue the series, slowly but surely, and see if the world expands.

4/5 STARS

Classroom: Yes, definitely. It would be a great read-aloud. Some violence, beating-interrogation.

No comments:

Post a Comment