Search This Blog

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Blue Mysteries

Bitterblue
By Kristin Cashore

A sequel to Graceling, a companion to Fire - though one could read this as a standalone - we follow Princess Bitterblue, now queen, as she struggles to bring order to her kingdom after her father's 35 year tyranny. For years she's been struggling, nothing seems to be changing, and what's worse is that mystery upon mystery begin piling up and confusing her decisions. 

There is something enchanting about the worlds that Cashore creates. I will never not read a book by her and enjoy it thoroughly. Books like these are the reason that I'm a reader. It took me to another world that I wanted to be in. I want to know the people. I want to visit the castle and the city and see the architecture that Cashore describes. I want to see the art that forms a huge part of the plotline.

It is a hefty book, at 563 pages, but I was engrossed the entire time. I do believe you could read this without having read the other two, though having read Graceling will help in the background of a few reappearing characters.

I really, really liked Bitterblue. I got over the weirdness of her name within the first few chapters. She behaved exactly like I would in her position, though, I do not envy her at all. Imagine having to put an entire kingdom back in order after the chaos of a king who not only brainwashed his entire kingdom, but cruelly kidnapped and tortured children, women, and animals. This king was not a nice guy, far from it. In fact, the things he does is sickening. Cashore tackles the darkest corners of humanity carefully.

Po is still one of my top fictional boyfriends. He's funny, loyal, dependable, perceptive, and very intelligent.

Now comes the difficult task when people ask, "Which one was your favourite?" Looking at other reviews, most say they liked this one least. I cannot say that I like it the least, for I was as engulfed in the world, invested in the plot and characters, and was extremely satisfied with the ending. No less than the other two. I loved how mystery upon mystery stacked up - that is the most distinct difference between this story and the other two.

So, instead, I will say that it did not disappoint. And, that I would recommend the entire series. For all young adult fantasy lovers, read read READ this series. It is a must.

5/5 STARS


No comments:

Post a Comment