Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Not the Planet, The Sea King

Of Neptune
By Anna Banks

Not going into a synopsis, I don't want to spoil anything from the first or second books.


Anna Banks has this INCREDIBLE ability to write addicting stories. They are woven complexly, come together satisfyingly, and just when you think there's a lag in action, get ready for some action.

Her characters are funny, sweet, frustrating at times, and all the while so charming that you really wished that an underwater kingdom full of Syrena (mermaids/men) really existed.


Of the three, my favourite is still book two, 'Of Triton'. Not knocking 'Of Neptune' though.

Too often in Young Adult trilogies, book one feels like an obvious set up, book two gets draggy because the author is saving the best stuff for the third book, and then the third book things come together after a meandering mess of reveals. Let me be clear: Anna Banks gives each book weight, worth, their own story arc, all the while balancing a full trilogy arc. She beautifully crafted this trilogy.

In regards to her choice in point-of-view style switching, I've thought about why she might do so. For Emma (our protagonist), we read in first person. In alternating chapters we get Galen (love interest - that's not a spoiler, come on), but instead of first person we are in third. After careful thought, I realized it never phased me when reading. Banks smoothly transitioned each change.

The other reason might be that sometimes with two first persons, if it's not completely clear the reader could begin reading the chapter as the other person. I have read a book, with two first person narrators, where I mixed up them up, frustratingly, every switch - both characters were too similar (that's a whole other issue). I commend Banks's choice to do this. It was easy to read, to understand, and to switch.

I did have a few issues with some things (trying to be vague) feeling a tiny cliche. Hence why I overall didn't like the third as much as the second. It is a VERY strong finish.

Overall, I recommend this trilogy over many others.

4.5/5 STAR-fish

Of Poseidon (I) - Review here
Of Triton (II) - Review here

No comments:

Post a Comment