Search This Blog

Saturday, June 6, 2015

Words Fly on Wings of Magic

The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender
By Leslye Walton

Ava Lavender was born extraordinary. Born with a pair of wings, no one knows why. We read the history of her family, 3 generations of foolish love and magical realism, to tell her poetic story.

About a week ago, I finished this book in three days. It kept me up at night until my eyes were drooping, unable to read any futher. I'm still thinking about it. No words that I can put down will capture what it made me feel. It is an esquisite debut novel.

It starts with the introduction to Ava, then abruptly jumps back in time to her great grandmother and grandmother's time. I thought I'd be bored with this sudden change, however, I quickly fell in love with the style of writing and peaceful kindness in the story telling. The story flows smoothly and gently. It allows you to contemplate and absorb the characters and their journeys.

Each character is unique and completely, even with slight magical elements, human. No one is without their flaws and no one is without their perfections. Leslye Walton captures humanity at its worst, at its most tragic, its most sorrowful, and its most beautiful.

It is haunting and it made me weep with relief and melancholy. And yet, it is uplifting.

Truly, this book is made of magic.

5/5 STARS


No comments:

Post a Comment