Search This Blog

Sunday, October 9, 2016

Beginnings: The First

Hi Book-Sniffers and Librocubicularists,

Inspiration for a thing can come from others' creativity. In Dylan's video "Favourite First Sentences", he beautifully portrays the first sentence of one of my favourite books 'I Capture the Castle'. 



"I write this sitting in the kitchen sink."


There's simpleness, yet we're intrigued. A good first sentence can be many things: memorable, poetic, startling, or humorous. It strikes curiosity in the reader's mind or makes them stop to ponder. 

A great deal of first sentences have stuck in my brain; a good deal of others have been revisited. Spending the afternoon reading each first sentence on my bookshelf gave me a sense of time travel: I was brought back to those moments when I read those words. 

Thus I have compiled a small list of some of my favourites. Each carry with them promise of a great story to come. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment