Search This Blog

Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Satiated Games

The Hunger Games
By Suzanne Collins

Genre: Utopian/Dystopian

Upon the insistence of my students, I read this book. I can be a bit of a snob when it comes to reading books that are “all the rage”. Mostly because I've read horrible books that people love and I was afraid to say something because of their EXTREME loyalty. Here's where I was wrong. This is a fantastic book. I have not read the 2nd or 3rd. Do not give them away. And, I am slightly excited for the film (2012).

North America has been divided into 12 districts. The Capitol, the central place of power, keeps these districts in line by forcing them to send one boy and one girl, every year, to fight in the arena. These children must fight, to the death, on live TV for the sake of punishment, entertainment, and tradition. Katniss Everdeeen steps forward to take her sister's place in the games. She quickly becomes a fan favourite, both in the world of Panem and in reality.

Every book seeks to offer background on the main character, and the first part of this book does this is in a slow fashion. I was not at all grabbed until the contestants were thrown into the arena. From there on in, I was hooked and could not put the book down. 

Overall, I loved this book. It pushes the limits of what young adult reading should be. The topic of the book can bring many debates into the ring, such as the morals behind throwing children into a fighting arena or bringing to light the realness of this entertainment in the Roman Empire through gladiators. I highly recommend this for any young adult reader.

4/5 STARS

** My only reservation about reviewing this book highly is that it's been done before. Most notably in the Japanese book, Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (copyright 1999). It takes place in an alternative time, where Japan is under totalitarian regime and to create paranoia and fear, students are taken to an island where they are told they must fight one another to the death. I find this version to be much darker, less toned down, and like anything Japanese, pushes the boundaries of what it is to be human. You can find more info on the wikipedia page here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale and on the movie here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale_%28film%29.

Use in the classroom:
Already this book has gained recognition through young people, however, it is very graphic and a very mature topic. Think carefully about the class you are presenting this to as well as contacting the parents. It presents many gripping open ended topics that can be debated. I would also offer the debate about books being popularized, the "Harry Potter Effect". We want critical thinking adults, not commercial zombies. An excellent springboard for that discussion. Highly recommended for individual, would definitely use in a literacy circle, and would be a great class novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment