Search This Blog

Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Grimm Phaerie Tale

Poison
By Chris Wooding

Genre: Fantasy

Ever read any of Grimm's Fairy Tales? Surprised by how different they were from the Disney version? Wish you had more tales to read? Look no further.

When Poison leaves her home in the marshes of Gull to retrieve the infant sister who was snatched by the fairies, she and a group of unusual friends survive encounters with the inhabitants of various Realms, and Poison herself confronts a surprising destiny. Enter a world where all humans are endangered – a gruesome, nightmarish land of malicious tricksters and evil disguised as beauty.

Wow, wow, wow. I read this a few years back when I was asked to present on a fantasy novel. My mother suggested this one and I've been hooked on Wooding ever since. This has got to be one of my most favourite books in a long time. It reads exactly like a fairy tale. Each world created seems to have so much fantastic elements, but so different from the one before and the one after. Wooding is one of those rare authors that can write an ending that is unpredictable, and yet, believable. I was so incredibly satisfied after finishing this book.

Overall, I love it.

5/5 STARS

Use in the classroom:
Fantasy is always a touchy subject when teaching in the classroom. If I were to use this as a classroom book, I would first contact parents to let them be aware that we are reading this novel. This book has magic and some parents would rather teachers not use this material in the classroom. What I love about this book is how it will blow your mind and I would love to see my students confused in the ambiguous (as I still am). It's the idea of freeing your mind to allow anything to be possible. Would I use this, yes. Grade 8-9 reading level. Depending on parent's reaction, recommended for individual study, literacy groups, and/or classroom novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment