Search This Blog

Monday, March 24, 2014

First Year Fan

Fangirl
By Rainbow Rowell

Genre: Contemporary

Currently in your first year of university? Perhaps university was years ago, but you don't mind reminiscing? Maybe you're in grade 12, getting ready to leave the home nest and experience university? Read this book.

Cath is in her first year. Her twin sister, Wren, has always been by her side, but now is pulling away and loving her independence. When real life is too much and Cath feels like she's alone, she escapes to the fantasy world of Simon Snow (a fictional book series, similar to Harry Potter). Not only is she a super fan and plasters her dorm with many posters of her favourite character, but she writes fan-fiction online and is somewhat famous.

I feel like this book is catered to those who: take a while to blossom; feel awkward in every social interaction; have a passion that's isolating and unrelateable to non-fans (muggles, psh); has/is experienced/experiencing their first year at university.

Normally, I do not read contemporary. This was not necessarily my cup of tea, but the book served to remind me that we are not alone is our self-perceived inept-ness. It took me back to my first year. I hid in my room. I refused to talk to people. I felt so uncomfortable in my own skin that it took until the end of the year to fully emerge.

The main character is moving from her teen years to young-adult and the transition is less than smooth. In fact, I'm pretty sure everyone has these bumps and we all believe that no one else is sharing our pain. That's exactly what Rowell captures perfectly in this novel. Not only is Cath struggling with her own identity, her family dynamics are changing much faster than she can adjust. Her social life too, is picking up especially when she meets Nick and Levi.

Delightful, quirky, relateable, laugh-out-loud, smile-inducing, and a sigh-worthy ending.

4.5 STARS

Classroom: As this is a book geared toward university-aged students, I would only recommend this to students in their 12th year.

No comments:

Post a Comment