Search This Blog

Monday, February 10, 2014

Interest, Intrigue, and Excite Me

Shatter Me
By Tahereh Mafi

Juliette has a power. She cannot touch anyone without killing them. For several years, she has been languishing in a prison until the futuristic government, The Reestablishment, wants her on their side.

The cover is bland and forgettable. I have an irrational hatred for “girls in ballgowns” covers. Thank goodness the publisher changed the scheme for books 2 and 3. In fact, the only reason I wanted to read this series in the first place is the second book's cover. Now I'm not so sure I want to read it.

I struggled through the first 200 pages of this book (338 total). Nothing was really grabbing me – the characters, the setting, the plot, or the pace. Then last night, something happened! I finished the rest of the book speedily. At the end, I'm still confused. I liked where it went, but I wish it had arrived there sooner.

Warning: this book is HEAVY on romance. I've no objection to romance. It just got in the way of the trajectory of the plot. It felt like “something's happening! something's happening! Oh, they're making out again...”. The feminist in me would have liked Juliette to have more development than just the romance.

I felt that little was explained and when it was the explanation offered more questions than answers. The world is a mystery to me. Though that might be part of our perspective through someone who's been incarcerated for three years.

What's most redeeming in this novel is the beautiful writing. Little snippets of pure poetry sprinkled throughout.

Here's hoping book 2 explains more.

3/5 STARS

Classroom: Skip this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment